Saturday, June 20, 2015

Remember Your Readers

I was browsing on Facebook today when I ran across a site that had posted a list of 10 rules for writers. It mentioned reading, outlining and not waiting for inspiration, among other things. As you can imagine, it inspired a lot of comments from writers who agreed or disagreed with one or more of the rules. Most of the comments were very thought-provoking and insightful.

One of them, however, made me roll my eyes and shake my head. The person stated that creativity is more important than grammar or spelling. As if to prove the point, the person used "your" instead of "you're" and randomly inserted commas in inappropriate places in the sentences.

Sigh.

I'll be the first to admit that I throw words at paper without worrying whether they're what I want, spelled correctly or even coherent, but that's why it's called a rough draft. After that, it's my job to make sense out of it ... so my readers can make sense of it.

I'm a writer because I love to write, but I never forget that I intend for someone else to read what I write, so I need to keep that person in mind as I polish the rough draft. I can't expect someone to read gibberish.

All writers should remember this:
If you don't care about your readers, they'll know it.
If you don't care about your readers, why should they care about you or your writing?

Write for yourself, but edit for your readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment