Saturday, January 9, 2016

Closet Spaceship Part 16

The next time Nick saw me, he stopped walking along the main corridor, stepped back and said, “No.”
I stopped, too. “What?”
“No,” he repeated. “I’m not doing it.”
“Okay,” I said. “So don’t do it.”
Nick likes to make people think he knows what they’re talking about, so I thought I’d do the same to him.
He squinted at me. “Yeah?”
“Sure,” I said. “I forbid you to do it.”
That was enough over the top that he caught on and rolled his eyes.
“Nick, I have no idea what you’re talking about,” I said.
“No s**t,” he said.
Reggie came around the corner from the dock area and scoffed when he saw us.
“What?” we both said. Nick scowled at me for that.
“Could you two be any more different?” Reggie asked. “I don’t think so.”
I crossed my arms. “You better not be referring to age.”
“Or height,” Nick said.
Reggie looked uncomfortable.
“Or gender,” I said.
“Or …” Nick was stuck until he touched the bill of his cap. “Or hats.”
Reggie and I both laughed.
“Shut up,” Nick said, which made us laugh harder.
“Or hats,” I said before I completely lost it. I was unable to say anything else for a few minutes. Every time I tried, I started laughing again.
Reggie laughed so hard he had to lean against the wall.
Finally Mark had to come find out what was going on, since I’m sure we were audible throughout most of the ship. He stood there shaking his head at the two of us.
“This is all your fault,” Nick said to him.
“Right,” Mark said. “My fault.”
Reggie was the first to try to compose himself. He took a couple of deep breaths and stood up straight, biting his lower lip. By that time, I could hardly breathe, so I did the same. We looked at each other out the corners of our eyes and almost lost it again, but managed to keep control.
“Sorry,” I gasped. “Not your fault.”
Nick said, “She probably wouldn’t even be here if you hadn’t said we’re supposed to tell all our secrets.”
What?” Mark said. “I never said that!”
“Nick, you’re such a trog sometimes,” Reggie said. “All he said was, we can tell why we did stuff, if we want.”
“Yeah, like why did I ever join this crew?” Nick grumbled.
“So why did you?” Reggie asked.
“Like I’d tell you,” Nick said. He looked at me. “Or you.”
“Okay,” I said. “You won’t be telling me anything. Got it.”
I didn’t think he’d want me to explain to him that he didn’t have to tell me anything because eventually he’ll show me.
And that may not be easy for either of us.
      For now, I can be grateful that he made me laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment