Sunday, March 6, 2016

End of an Era

I can hardly believe it, but I watched the final episode of "Mythbusters" last night. How is it possible that we won't be able to turn to Adam Savage and Jamie Hyneman to learn if that Internet video is real or fake, or if that story we heard is plausible or not?

Let's face it, Adam and Jamie made science cool. They showed how important it is to test everything, even those things you think are outrageous or definitely true. Who thought elephants would actually shy away from mice? Who thought you could get a lead balloon off the ground? Who knew you could make a boat out of duct tape? The Mythbusters were always there to get it right and show us what is possible ... or not.

And they did it with such joy! Watching Adam jump up and down in excitement or catching the sound of an elusive Jamie chuckle was always enough to make my day. They were always curious and they wanted to know the answers as much as their viewers did.

I'll remember the great quotations, too: "I reject your reality and substitute my own." "When in doubt ... C4!" "Quack, damn you." "Am I missing an eyebrow?" The list goes on.

From 2003 to 2016, I watched what Adam and Jamie (and Kari, Tory and Grant) would come up with. I was one of those lucky few to see the very first episode, which they re-aired last night, and I was immediately hooked. The concept never grew stale, the show never lost its charm and the Mythbusters never lost their enthusiasm, which is what made it such a great show.

I tip my cap to Adam and Jamie, wishing them all the best in their next endeavors. Thanks for the laughs, the gasps and the new knowledge gained!

No comments:

Post a Comment