Saturday, October 24, 2015

Hope

Those of you who know me at all know that I'm a Cubs fan.

Yes, I said it: I'm a Cubs fan. I've only been one since 1987, when I went to a game at Wrigley Field, but that one game sealed my fate. The brick walls covered in ivy, the atmosphere, Harry Caray singing the 7th inning stretch: how could I be immune to those charms?

I tell you this so you know I'm not a fair-weather, come-lately fan. I'm nothing compared to people in their 90s who've been fans all their lives, but I was there for some of the lean, painful years. I was there for years when they had great players but just couldn't seem to make it to the postseason, or got to the postseason and stumbled, for reasons that no one can understand. (No, I don't believe it's the goat.)

Each spring, I'd get excited all over again. Each fall, I'd say, "Maybe next year." And I was sincere.

This past spring was much the same as usual. I knew they had some new, young faces, but that's happened before. I knew they had a new manager, but that's happened before. I hoped for at least a .500 season.

But after a few months, I realized something was different. It was hard because I couldn't see most of the games (How ironic that WGN didn't televise the games this of all years! Come on, WGN, don't break our hearts again next year!), but when I did get to see a game, it was fun to watch. I couldn't always say that in previous years. Still, I had seen good years before, so I cautioned myself not to get too worked up. This is what you do when you're a Cubs fan: you try to remain realistic, you remember the history (as much as you'd like to forget it).

The Cubs, though, played as if they'd never heard of the history, as if anything was possible. I watched, somewhat stunned, as they became the second wild card team. I watched, even more amazed, as they won the wild card game. Then I watched them win the NLDS ... and I didn't know what to do. Get excited? Be cynical so I wouldn't get hurt?

I did what most Cubs fans did: I dared to believe. I believed they could get to the World Series and win it!

As you know, that didn't quite happen (no matter what they said in "Back to the Future II").

But you know what? This year when I say, "Maybe next year," I mean it even more than I did in previous years. The Cubs have showed me that they can win, that they believe in themselves, that anything is possible.

I can't say I've never felt that before. But I'm sure grateful for a chance to feel it again.

Thanks, Cubs. I'll see you in the spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment