Saturday, November 21, 2015

Grateful

Since I write my blog on Saturday (or sometimes Sunday) and Thanksgiving is on Thursday, I will take this opportunity to wish you a very happy Thanksgiving. Whether you are traveling or staying home, spending it with others or alone, eating a lot of turkey or not, I hope yours will be enjoyable. Please take at least a few moments to remember the reason for the holiday: to reflect on what we are thankful for, what makes our lives worthwhile, what is special to each of us.

For me, the first is family. I am so grateful to have a strong family with plenty of love and care for each other, and with minimal drama. My husband is part of that family and I'm so grateful to him for helping me make our marriage work (even when it has seemed like work, which hasn't been very often).

After that comes writing. I'm so thankful that I can get so much joy out of something that can sometimes seem so simple (although it sure doesn't when I'm staring at a blank screen with a blank mind). When I feel an emotion or witness a beautiful sight, when I want to work through a problem or I want to connect with a fictional person, writing is there for me. I can't imagine life without it.

This was emphasized for me recently when I was stuck on a scene for the next novel, The Other Side. I wrestled with that scene for weeks! I just couldn't make it work and it was starting to frustrate me. I wondered if I needed to eliminate or completely rework the scene. Then, the other day, something simple happened: the people I take my break with at work were unavailable and I found myself walking alone in the main hallway. At first I was a little disappointed to be alone. I was a little self-conscious, too. But after a few minutes, I let my mind wander. It's usually a good combination: a little exercise and the ability to daydream. Before I realized it, I'd solved the problem of the scene. (Note to self: find more time to let mind wander aimlessly, because you never know what it will discover.)

I'm also grateful for my friends, my job, my country (even with all of its problems, I wouldn't want to live anywhere else), the beautiful Earth, and all the people along the way who have taken a moment or two to smile at me, speak pleasantly or brighten my day in any way, big or small.

Last but not least, I've got to say it: I'm grateful that the Cubs won NL Rookie of the Year, NL Manager of the Year, and the NL Cy Young Award! Go, Cubs!!

Have a wonderful holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment