Saturday, March 22, 2014

Closet Spaceship Part 5

(Here's the latest installment of how I introduced myself to Captain Lamont and his crew. While you read it, think about what makes a good or bad leader. That's one of the big themes in Another Shot.)

I wasn’t too happy about leaving Outsider, not only because I didn’t get to see the looks on their faces when I vanished. I was also a little worried about my reception if I ever went back … and I fully intended to go back.

Would they shoot me on sight? No, I knew enough about them to trust that they wouldn’t do that. But how would they react?

And when should I go back? I mean, when in their time: right after I left?

After mulling it over for a few days, I decided to give them a day or two to think it over. Then I gave Mac specific instructions before we set out.

When Captain Lamont decided to turn in that evening, he found me in his cabin, sitting on the sofa. He hesitated in the doorway, but I did my best to appear non-threatening so he entered the room. He left the door ajar, though.

“I see that having armed guards in the corridor wasn’t effective,” he said as he took a seat at the desk across the room. He set his radio on the desk, within reach.

“Sorry,” I said. “Listen to me: if you tell me never to come back, I’ll do what you ask. But here’s the thing: I just won’t be visible. I’ll still be around, but you won’t be able to see me.”

He frowned.

“Oh, come on,” I said. “Obviously not when anyone’s in the shower or stuff like that. And I don’t do sex scenes.”

That much is true, I’m sorry to say. That’s probably why sales aren’t a little better.

His frown was still there.

“I don’t like spies,” he said.

“Yes, I understand,” I said, “but authors don’t really have a choice, do they? They have to watch someone or what will they write about? You’re just unfortunate that I discovered you and your crew, that’s all.”
 
       He thought it over and I sincerely feared he was going to tell me to never come back.

(Remember to tell your friends and family about Outsider and Another Shot. Spread the word about my blog and Facebook page. I'm counting on you!)

No comments:

Post a Comment