Saturday, May 16, 2015

Leadership

As part of my job, I have to read "training materials," books that claim to teach me about management and leadership. Some of them are yawn-inducing, some are entertaining, and some of them have at least a few good points to consider.

As I read, I think two things: does this apply to me, and does this apply to Lamont?

I've had several managers over the years, some of them memorable and some forgettable. One of them, a man named Tom, stands above the rest as someone I would have done almost anything for. I drove to work through the snow at 2 a.m. because he asked me to update the software. I did what I thought was impossible because he believed in me.

I was a temp when he saw me sealing envelopes. For reasons I'll never fully understand, he asked me to run the company software. I had no background in computers or electronics or anything relevant. And I'll never know why I said yes, except that I was tired of being a temp.

He told me how good my predecessor was and then he gave me the tools to succeed: he trained me in what he knew and gave me a support line number for the rest. Then he stepped back.

I struggled. There was a lot to know and I was ignorant. It wasn't long before I made a major error because I misunderstood a process. When I took it to him, he didn't get mad. He explained why it was a problem and said, "Fix it." I called the help line, we fixed the problem, and I never made that mistake again.

Every time I had a question or concern, he would listen and either find a solution or tell me I could figure it out. He always trusted me to get it done as well as I could. And after a while, he stopped mentioning my predecessor.

When I write about Lamont, I try to include what I learned from Tom (and the less-successful managers I've had). Some of the things I've learned are these: Help your employees succeed any way you can. Give them the knowledge and tools they need. Stand up for them when they deserve it. Trust them but hold them accountable. Listen to them. Set a good example.

I want Lamont to be the boss that everyone wants to work for, just like Tom was.

Thank you for your example, Tom.

No comments:

Post a Comment